Recommendations have categories

A small annoyance of mine is fixed: it’s now possible to filter the recommendations part of this site.

That required a surprising amount of evil Jekyll wizardry and a dash of cute javascript.

All content licensed under Creative Commons

This blog was always “© all rights reserved”.

But most stuff I use is opensource and it’s time to give something back! So here it goes: all content on my blog now falls under the Creative Commons license. Have fun with it!

No commercial use?

For now I’ve decided not to allow commercial use. This means the site is not truly ‘Free Culture’, but it somehow doesn’t ‘feel right’ to me to allow commercial use. I’ll think about it and maybe update the license in the future anyway 😊

I’m very proud to have this icon on my blog now: Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Games • Part 3: Getting to know eachother

This is number three in my series of ‘home-made’ games (part 1, part 2). I developed these games for scouting for a big group to get to know eachother (“ice-breakers”).

That’s not my secret!

materials: pens and small pieces of paper

The group is split into two equal groups and everybody writes down two secrets (“I love Justin Bieber”, “I sucked my thumb until I was twelve”, “I love death metal”, “I was once in jail”, etc.) on two separate pieces of paper. Write clearly, because someone else has to read them! Everybody keeps one secret and hands the other to someone else within their group. No peeking 😊

The two groups then face eachother in two lines and now the game begins!

Based on a coin toss one group starts. One person from the group reads his two notes with secrets (one from himself and one from a team-mate) in a random order, it is now for the opposing team to figure out which of the secrets belongs to this person. They may ask one question and then have to decide.

The person reveals if they were correct and to whom the other secret belonged. The team gets a point for guessing correctly, and the other team then gets the turn.

I took a finger to the knee

materials: a pen and small pieces of paper

Write down the names of everybody on small pieces of paper. Hand one paper to everyone in the group. Now everybody has a random ‘name’. The goal of the game is to touch the knee of this person. If you succeed, you get the piece of paper of this person and you continue. The person with the most pieces of paper at the end of the game has won.

There are two variants:

  • the quick-version: start with a whistle and time it for 10 minutes
  • the slow-version: the game lasts an entire weekend

Games • Part 2: Some more mystery-games!

Six years ago I mentioned I might publish some more games I created. I understand everybody has been waiting anxiously, so here it goes!


I created the games below for scouting, they are all in Dutch (but since the whole blog is in English, I’m just going to keep writing in English). They are password protected as they are ‘mystery-solving’ games. I’m leaving some words here for ye Dutch Googlers: rollenspel, mysterie-spel, cluedo, piraten, raadsel, winkel, albert heijn, sprookje, sprookjesspel, rood kapje en de wolf.

Dirty pirates

This game is pirate-themed and was used during a hike. Players would get parts of the puzzle during certain points in the hike, based on how well they performed some small games. In the end they could consult ‘the oracle’ (me, through WhatsApp) to ask one question.

The puzzle is pretty foulmouthed and infantile, because it was oriented at sixteen to eighteen year olds 🤣

The game was used only once, but got very good feedback. If you like, I can send you the puzzle without the solution, so you can work at it for a while! 😇

Shop or be shopped

This is one of my favorites: a murder mystery in a supermarket. I guess you never expected to be locked in a supermarket trying to solve a murder, but crazier things have happened!

A great story mixing chlamydia, half-skimmed milk, drugs, murder, hamsters and bonus-cards. Do you want a plastic bag with that?

Age group: 15+.


A mystery game based on fairytales, for ages 7+. Originally done with a group of girls in the ages 7-11 years old. It was a big success!

Little Red Riding Hood is working for the wolf in this story, he has a big business empire of grocery delivery to sick grandmas. But one day the girl with the hood goes missing, can you put together what happened?

Email to play

If you want to try out any of the games, just send me an email!

update: [and here’s part three](/games/2018/03/12/games-post3/

Git and dropbox

This blog is in a git repository and I push it to a remote repository on my server. That means I can always go back to a previous version, even if my computer breaks. Even so, I like the idea of having a backup.

Backing up a git-repository to Dropbox

Git and Dropbox don’t play together nicely so I don’t have my git-repositories in Dropbox. Instead I create a zip-file to the Dropbox each time I commit something.

The nice thing is that Git makes this really easy! Just create a post-commit file in the .git/hooks directory, make it executable (chmod +x post-commit) and add the following:


echo "Running post-commit"
d=`date -j "+%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S"`
exec git archive -o "/Users/username/Dropbox (Personal)/your-backup-folder/"$ head

This creates zip-files with the filename of the current date/time (


  • Automatic backup: I don’t have to think about it
  • Backups make sense: a commit is a nice time to backup
  • Respects .gitignore: no useless files are backed up


  • The backup becomes huge: there are no increments or auto-deletions
  • Only the files of the current head gets backed up: no git-settings, other branches, tags, etc.
  • Dropbox is not a real backup tool: somebody with access to my Dropbox can delete the files

Looking forward to hearing other people’s ideas on this!